Study started circa
Overview of Study
Facebook page or group
Population in 1881
Contact name (if different)
Online / social media presence
© oneplacestudy.org 2013-
The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-
Online Parish Clerk scheme
Tredaule, Five Lanes, Gunnon, Treveage, West Carne, Trethyn, Treween, Trewint
The parish of Altarnun is in the Hundred of Lesneweth, in the deanery of Trigg-
Altarnun can truly be described as one of the prettiest villages in Cornwall. Across two bridges stands the Church of St. Nonna. The Normans built a church here in the 12th century, but the church as it now stands was built in the 15th century, and was partly constructed of unquarried stone from the moors.
By the church gate stands a fine Celtic cross, possibly dating back to the 6th century, the time of St. Nonna herself. She was the mother of St. David and left her native Wales around the year 527.
The parish is mainly moorland, and grazed by animals, but there are areas of farmland in the Eastern areas. The river Lynher rises in this parish.
The principal villages in this parish are the churchtown, more properly called Penpont, Tredaule, Five Lanes, Gunnon, Treveage, West Carne, Trethyn, Treween, and Trewint. At Five Lanes, large cattle fairs once were held.
05 Mar 2014
© Mike Searle and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence