© Register of One-Place Studies 2013-2016

County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Old photos of buildings/places

Old postcard views

Overview of Study

Old photos of past residents

Primary resources

Secondary resources

Electoral rolls/poll books

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Additional source material to hand

Study owner

Population in 1881

Monumental inscriptions

Trade directories

Probate office summaries

Family histories

Obituary notices

Newspaper extracts

Will transcriptions

Tithe apportionment

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Baptism registers date from

Burial registers date from

Marriages registers date from

Baptism transcriptions

Marriage transcriptions

Burial transcriptions

Parish Registers:





Census transcriptions:

1841

1851

1871

1861

1881

1891

1911

1901

Local history/timeline

Militia lists

Online / social media presence

Additional comments from study owner/contact

Current status

Look-up service for offline records?

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Cornwall

Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Loading...

Grampound, Trevillick


Click here to visit website

Creed

Creed is a parish in mid Cornwall extending to about 2,600 acres. It is essentially an agricultural area, bounded on the north by St Stephen in Brannel, on the east by St Ewe, on the south by Cuby, and on the west by Probus. Within the parish is the ancient (and formerly important) township of Grampound - a corruption of the Norman French “Graundpount”, or “grand pont”, by which the settlement was known at that time. Its charter dates from the 1330’s, giving its inhabitants the right to hold a weekly market and other privileges. Former occupations in the borough included tanning, woollen manufacturing and glove making.

From the time of Edward VI the borough of Grampound sent two members to Parliament, until 1824 when the borough had the questionable distinction of being the only rotten borough to be disenfranchised for bribery prior to the Reform Act of 1832. William Noye and John Hampden (of ship-money fame) are perhaps the most famous to have represented the burgesses of the borough.

John Evans

726


Online


To do

Online


Online


Online


Online


Online


Online


To do

To do

Online


Online


Online


1669


1686

1682

To do



To do


To do

To do



To do

Online


Online


To do


None found


None found


Offline


None found

-   


CornwallOPCs

@CornwallOPCs


-

2011

Active



Priorities for 2014:  

Continuing to transcribe relevant records relating to the parish

Bastardy documents, manorial documents, Overseers’ Accounts, Settlement documents

7 December 2013

johnrpevans@hotmail.co.uk


Yes


The parish church is dedicated to St Crida, said to have been the daughter of King Mark, and (according to legend) she founded a community of Celtic Christian nuns on the site. Anciently the parish was taxed under the name of Tybesta – in Cornish the house of bullocks, on account of its fertile lands – and was the home of the Court Baron of the Hundred of Powder.

Because of the distance from the principal settlement of Grampound to the parish church, a licence to celebrate Divine Service in the borough was granted in 1370, although the church there was variously referred to as the church of St Mary or St Barnabus in addition to its true dedicatee St Naunter or St Nun. Historically there was also reputed to be a holy well and chapel at Trevillick.





Creed One-Place Study