Study started circa
Overview of Study
Facebook page or group
Population in 1881
Contact name (if different)
Online / social media presence
© oneplacestudy.org 2013-
The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-
Online Parish Clerk scheme
The parish of Davidstow is located on the road from Launceston to Camelford and Wadebridge, in the hundred of Lesnewth. It is rolling farmland, with light soil over rock. The chief crops are wheat, oats, and root crops. St. Kitt's hill, on the western side of the parish, is 985 feet above sea level. The rivers Camel and Inney arise here. Davidstow Moor adjoins Bodmin moor, and has an airfield, in use by small planes and a flying club. (to contact them, see link below) The village hall, near the creamery, was once the gymnasium for the airfield. The airfield ambulance station and mortuary has been a private workshop for a number of years. Today, "Dairy Crest" are the largest employers in the area.
There were Bible Christian and United Methodist Free chapels at Tremail and Trewassa;
Tremail Chapel is still operational. The Church of England's St. David, which was
rebuilt in the Early English style over the ruins of an older church, was paid for
by Miss Pearse, of Launceston, in the late 1800's. It holds approximately 250 people.
She also donated stained-
The parish register dates from 1709. In 1891, the population was 393.
05 Mar 2014
© Roger Geach and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence