Extracts from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):
SAMPSON (St.), a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall; on the river Fowey and
the Cornwall railway, 3½ miles S by E of Lostwithiel. Post-town, Fowey, under Par
Station. Acres, 1,470. Real property, £1,650; of which £10 are in mines. Pop., 311.
Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. A castle of the Earls of Salisbury
stood at Castle-Dore. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value,
£53. Patron, W. Rashleigh, Esq. The church is good.