Study started circa
Overview of Study
Facebook page or group
Population in 1881
Contact name (if different)
Online / social media presence
© oneplacestudy.org 2013-
The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-
Online Parish Clerk scheme
Extracts from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-
GWENNAP, a village, a parish, and a sub-
The parish is inhabited chiefly by persons connected with mines; contains the seats of Pengreep, Burncoose, and Trewince, the latter two belonging to J. M. Williams, Esq., and E. Beauchamp Tacher, Esq.; and comprises 6, 565 acres. Real property, £24, 518; of which £15, 443 are in mines. Pop., 10, 537. Houses, 2, 246. The property is much subdivided.
The rocks abound in ores, principally copper ones; and the parish has been called
"the great cupriferous parish of Cornwall." De la Beche says that in part of the
Gwennap district, " the country can be considered as little else than a mass of huge
fragments, cemented together by various mineral substances; the great dislocations
having been produced at two different times, at least; the last cutting off the continuity
of numerous fissures previously filled in part by the ores of the useful metals,
Some of the mines are worked to a depth of more than 200 fathoms under the sea; and short lines of railway go from them to the ports of Portreath and Devran.
04 Mar 2014
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £428. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is ancient; was lately in part restored; has a separate tower; and contain s monuments of the Williamses and the Beauchamps. The vicarages of St. Day and Lannarth are separate benefices. There are chapels for Baptists, .Wesleyans, and Plymouth Brethren, large national schools, and charities £18.