County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

-

Click here to visit website


Hayle

Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):

HAYLE, or HEYL, a small seaport in St. Erth and Phillack parishes, Cornwall; on the river Hayle, and the Cornwall railway, 4 miles SE of St. Ives. It is a sub-port to St. Ives; and has a head post-office, a railway station with telegraph, and a causeway, across the river, 1,140 feet long. The harbour is below the causeway; has commodious wharfs, and canals with flood-gates; can be entered, at spring tides, by vessels of 200 tons burden; and has two fixed lights, 81 and 59 feet high, put up in 1840. A coasting trade is carried on in the exportation of copper ore and tin, and in the importation of coal, timber, and general merchandise. Steam-vessels ply regularly to Bristol. A railway, for mineral traffic, 17¼ miles long, goes to Redruth. The smelting of copper was formerly done on a large scale; and there are now steam-engine works, and iron and brass-foundries. There is also a chapel of ease to Phillack.


John Smith

tba

-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

1998

Active

Click here to contact

04 Mar 2014

Loading...

Hayle One-Place Study