Extracts from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):
HESSENFORD, a village and a chapelry in St. Germans parish, Cornwall. The village
stands in a deep wooded bottom, on the river Seaton, 3 miles W of St. Germans r.
station; and has a fair on May 20. The chapelry was constituted in 1852. Post town,
St. Germans, Cornwall. Pop., 963. Houses, 209. The land extends to the coast; and
many of the inhabitants are fishermen. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of
Exeter. Valuc, £100. Patron, the Incumbent of St. Germans.