County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

-

Click here to visit website


Illogan

Extracts from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):

ILLOGAN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Redruth district, Cornwall. The village stands 2½ miles NW by W of Redruth r. station; bears the name of Illogan-Church-Town; and has a post office, of that name, under Redruth.

The parish contains also the villages of Pool and Portreath, and part of that of Brea; includes parts of the chapelries of Tuckingmill and Mount-Hawke; and extends along the coast. Acres, 8, 31 7; of which 45 are water. Real property, £108, 993; of which £102, 570 are in mines and £539 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 9, 256; in 1861, 9, 683. Houses, 1,819.

The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to John F. Basset, Esq. Carnbrea hill, 740 feet high, is all within the parish. A small castle, at the E end of that hill, occupies the site of a very ancient fortalice, supposed to have been built by the Britons; is itself an ancient structure, recently enlarged and altered; and is thought to have originated the name Illogan, the last two syllables of which signify, in Cornish, "the white tower" or "the tower on the downs." Remains of a circular fortification, called the Old Castle, are a little to the W; and a column, to the memory of the late Lord Dunstanville, is on the hill's summit. Druidical remains are numerous. Mines of tin and copper are extensively worked; building stone is quarried; and the West Cornwall railway, with a branch to Portreath, facilitates the traffic. The Redruth workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 254 inmates. The plague, in 1591, was so fatal in Illogan as to cut down tenfold the average of other places.

David Crocker

8,723


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

1998

Active

Click here to contact study owner

02 Mar 2014

Loading...

©  Rog Frost and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence

The living is a rectory, united with the chapelries of Portreath and Trevenson, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £587. Patron, J. F. Basset, Esq. The church is a modern edifice, with the tower of a previous church; and contains brasses and monuments of the Bassets. There are two chapels of the Established church, eight chapels of Wesleyans and United Free Methodists, one chapel of Bryanites, and five national schools.—The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.



Illogan One-Place Study