County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

Hugh Town (St Mary's), Bryher,

New Grimsby (Tresco), Higher Town (St Martin’s), Saint Agnes (St Agnes)

Click here to visit website


Isles of Scilly

Extracts from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):

Scilly Islands, island-group at the entrance of the English Channel, 25 miles SW. of Lands End, 3500 ac., pop. 2320; P.O., T.O., called Scilly. The islands constitute a parish of Cornwall, and are in the Western or St Ives Parliamentary Division of that county. They are about 30 miles in circumference and number 140, but only six of them are of any importance, viz., St Mary's, Tresco, St Martins, St Agnes, Bryher, and Samson. Hugh Town (St Mary's) is the seat of government, which is managed by 12 of the principal inhabitants who constitute the Court of Twelve. The inhabitants are engaged in raising and exporting early vegetables for the London market, in the fisheries, and in sea-faring pursuits. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The islands rise steeply from the sea, and have proved very dangerous to mariners. On St Mary's Island and on Bishop Rocks are lighthouses, with revolving and fixed lights seen 17 and 16 miles. The Scilly Islands are supposed to have been the Cassiterides of the Greeks, and the Sillinse of the Romans. After the withdrawal of the Romans they were occupied by a Celtic population, who have left stone circles, kistvaens, cromlechs, and other remains. In the 10th century they were annexed to Saxon England by Athelstan. During the Civil War they held out for the King, afforded temporary shelter to Prince Charles, and were captured by Blake. They now form part of the Duchy of Cornwall.


Rick Smith

2,320


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

2005

Active

Click here to contact study owner

05 Mar 2014

Loading...

Isles of Scilly One-Place Study