County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

-

Click here to visit website


Kenwyn

Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):

KENWYN, a parish and a sub-district in Truro district, Cornwall. The parish lies partly within Truro borough; is traversed by a rivulet of its own name, and bounded on the E by the rivulet Allen, both of which fall into the river Fal at Truro; includes the chapelries of St. George and St. John, and parts of the chapelries of Chacewater, Baldhu, and Mithian; and is averagely, as to its church, 1 mile NW of Truro town and r. station. Post town, Truro. Acres, 8,997. Real property, £27,930; of which £1,835 are in mines, £79 in quarries, £33 in iron works, £8,563 in railways, and £100 in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 9,743; in 1861, 10,639. Houses, 2,234. Pop. of the part within Truro borough, 5, 306. Houses, 1, 125. Pop. of the part forming St. George's chapelry, 2,846; of the part forming St. John's chapelry, 2,600. The property is much subdivided. Chincoss was the seat of the Haweses; Comprigny, of the Vivians; Roseworth, of the Enys. Smelting works are at Calenick and Cavedras. Barrows are on the Downs. The Cornwall infirmary is within the parish; and, at the census of 1861, had 66 inmates. The head living is a vicarage, united with the Vicarage of St. Kea, and the livings of St. George and St. John are p. curacies, in the diocese of Exeter Value of the head living, £793; of St. George, £150; of St. John, £200. Patron of the head living, the Bishop of Exeter; of St. George, alternately the Crown and the Bishop; of St. John, the Vicar of Kenwyn. The parochial church was recently restored and beautified, and has a tower; and stands on an eminence, commanding an extensive view. There are dissenting chapels, and national schools.


Gill Hart

8,639

-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

2006

Active

Click here to contact

08 Apr 2014

Loading...

Kenwyn One-Place Study