© Register of One-
Study started circa
Old photos of buildings/places
Old postcard views
Overview of Study
Old photos of past residents
Electoral rolls/poll books
Facebook page or group
Additional source material to hand
Population in 1881
Probate office summaries
Contact name (if different)
Baptism registers date from
Burial registers date from
Marriages registers date from
Online / social media presence
Additional comments from study owner/contact
The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-
Online Parish Clerk scheme
Bissick, Grampound Road (part),
The parish of Ladock is in mid Cornwall, about 6 miles north east of the City of Truro. Extending to almost 6,000 acres, it has the parishes of Newlyn East and St Enoder to the north, St Stephen in Brannel to the east, Probus to the south, and St Erme to the west. Essentially agricultural in nature, nevertheless tin streaming took place in most of the valleys, and in 1802 the largest gold nugget (now on display in Truro Museum) was discovered in the Ladock River.
The parish takes its name from the patron saint of the parish church, St Ladoca, about whom little is known, although she is reputed to have come to Cornwall with St Piran. The church stands in an elevated position above the settlement of Bissick in the valley, and still has some Norman elements – notably in the north wall and transept. Most of the church, however, dates from the 15th century, and was in turn “restored” in 1864.
Priorities for 2014: Continuing to transcribe documents relevant to the parish
Settlement documents, indentures, Overseers’ Accounts, manorial documents
7 December 2013
There is a chapel in Grampound Road, a village on the border of Ladock and Probus, and there were formerly chapels in Bissick, New Mills and Scarcewater, close to the boundary with St Stephen in Brannel, although all three of them, alas, are no longer in use for worship, and all have been converted to dwellings.
The B3275 road, which passes through the settlement of Bissick, was formerly part
of the toll road linking Truro and Bodmin, and one of its distinctive toll houses
can still be seen on the northern side of the road approaching Brighton Cross.