County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

East Looe, West Looe

Click here to visit website


Looe

Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1877):

Looe, East, fishing port, market town, and township (ry. sta. Looe), St Martin's par., Cornwall, on E. bank of river Looe, 16 miles W. of Plymouth, pop. 1353; P.O., T.O., called Looe, 2 Banks. Market-day, Wednesday. Although the former prosperity of East Looe has fallen off to a large extent, the town does a considerable trade in the exportation of tin, copper, and lead; also pilchards, the fishing for which gives occupation to most of the inhabitants. The town has a good harbour and quay, and there are remains of a bridge built in the 14th century. East Looe was incorporated by Queen Elizabeth, and was separately represented in Parliament from her time till 1832.



Sue Dent

2,221


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

2006

Active

Click here to contact study owner

9 Mar 2014

Loading...

LOOE (WEST), a small town in Talland parish, Cornwall; on the W bank of the river Looe, opposite East Looe. It is practically one town with East Looe; communicates immediately with it by the bridge across the river; has the same kind of character, as to both site and structure; and shares in its business. It once had a weekly market, and still has a fair on 6 May. It also was made a borough by charter of Elizabeth; sent two members to parliament, till disfranchised by the reform bill; and is still nominally governed by a mayor and burgesses. It has a lately restored old church, an Independent chapel, and an endowed school with £45 a year. Real property, £1,013. Pop., 770. Houses, 161.

Looe One-Place Study