Study started circa
Overview of Study
Facebook page or group
Population in 1881
Contact name (if different)
Online / social media presence
© oneplacestudy.org 2013-
The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-
Online Parish Clerk scheme
Crowlas, Lower Quarter, Cockwells, Whitecross, Canonstown, Manwinion
The parish of Ludgvan is located in the Hundred of Penwith, and is neighbours with Towednack, Lelant, St. Erth and St. Hilary, as well as the sea.
The Davy and Borlase families are prominent in the history of the parish. The parents of Sir Humphrey Davy, President of the Royal Society, etc., are memorialized in the church, and the following tablet may also be found:
In memory of John POOLEY of this parish, sometimes Captain of the Coobre mine in San Domingo, and afterwards of the Lucencia mine in Spain, who died 2 May, 1864 aged 54 years. This monument is erected by a friend.
One of the more interesting sites in the parish is Castle-
The principal villages, besides the Churchtown, are Crowlas, Lower Quarter, Cockwells, Whitecross, Canonstown, and Manwinion. Wesleyan chapels were at Crowlas, Whitecross (b. 1858), Trenewin, Newtown, and Canonstown. The Primitive Methodists had chapels at Lower Quarter, Cockwells, and Boswase. The Bible Christians had a chapel at Batreva.
03 Mar 2014
© SMJ and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence