County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

-

Click here to visit website


Merther

Extracts from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):

MERTHER, a parish in Truro district, Cornwall; on St. Clement's creek, an inner offshoot of the Fal river., 6 miles E by S of Truro r. station. Post town, Tresilian, under Probus, Cornwall. Acres, 1,726. Real property, £2,088. Pop., 384. Houses, 79. The manor and most of the land belong to Viscount Falmouth. Tresawsen, now a farm-house, was formerly the seat of the Hals family, and was inhabited by William Hals, author of the Parochial History of Cornwall. Tresilian bridge spans St. Clement's creek, at the boundary with Probus parish; and a commerce up to that point is carried on in coal, lime, and timber. The gate-house of Tregothnan, the seat of Viscount Falmouth, adjoins the bridge. Here was the place where the royal army surrendered to Fairfax in 1646. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £32. Patron, the Vicar of Probus. The church is ancient but good; and has a tower surmounted by a wooden bell-turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £20 a year.


Michael Lightfoot

246


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

1998

Active

Click here to contact study owner

02 Apr 2014

Loading...

©  Philip White and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence

Merther One-Place Study