County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

-

Click here to visit own website


Newlyn East (Newlyn in Pydar)

Named for its patron saint, St Newelina, the parish of St Newlyn East is sometimes known as plain "Newlyn" or "Newlyn East". It was also sometimes referred to as Newlyn in Pydar, to distinguish it from the parish of Newlyn near Penzance. It belongs to the deanery and Hundred of Pydar. Geographically, it is bounded on the north by St Columb Minor and Colan, on the east by St Enoder, on the south by Ladock, St Erme and St Allen, and on the west by Perranzabuloe, Cubert and Crantock.

Thanks to the lead mine, East Wheal Rose, St Newlyn East was a thriving mining community in the nineteenth century. However, disaster struck the mine on 9 July 1846 when an unusually heavy thunderstorm, lasting an hour and a quarter, flooded the mine. Thirty-nine miners - mainly from St Newlyn East and St Allen - were drowned. The mine was eventually closed in 1881.

Blanche Charles

1,414


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-



2005

Active

blanchec@paradise.net.nz

4 Feb 2014

Newlyn East (OPC=Mark Jose)

Loading...

Newlyn East One-Place Study