County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study



Facebook page or group


Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail


Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries

The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:

Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC



Click here to visit website


To preserve as much information as possible relative to the parish including birth, marriage and death records.

Newquay Parish was formed in 1882, making it separate from St Columb Minor. A Chapel of Ease, dedicated to St Michael, was built in Bank Street, Newquay, and opened in 1858. It continued to serve the people of Newquay until 1911 when the current parish Church, also dedicated to St Michael, on Marcus Hill was opened. After the new church opened, the land where the Chapel of Ease stood was purchased by the Women’s Institute, and it stood there until 1937 when the land and building was purchased by F.W. Woolworth, and was subsequently demolished for the new store to be built. However, there is still a reminder of the fact that a church once stood here in the footpath, named Church Path, which runs from Mount Wise to Bank Street which is still in use today.

The building of the new church commenced in 1909 on a site on Marcus Hill. A sign was erected stating that the sum requested for the building was £10,000, and that contributions were urgently requested, and thankfully received. The church, a large building in the Cornish perpendicular style, was designed by Sir Ninian Comper. It was first built without the tower, which was subsequently added in 1967. The church was destroyed by an arson attack on 29 June 1993, but was rebuilt and rededicated in 1996.

Pauline Pickup








15 Apr 2014


Newquay One-Place Study