County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

-

Click here to visit website


Pelynt

Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1877):

PELYNT, or Plynt, a village and a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall. The village stands 4 miles W N W of Looe, and 9¾ S S W of Liskeard r. station; and has a post-office under Liskeard, and fairs on the first Tuesday of Feb. and 24 June. The parish comprises 4, 683 acres. Real property, £4,055. Pop., 729. Houses, 142. The property is divided among a few. The manor was known, at Domesday, as Plewent; belonged then to the Earl of Mortaigne; and was recently sold in lots. Trelawney House belongs to the Trelawney family; was the birthplace of Sir Jonathan Trelawney, one of the seven bishops committed to the Tower by James II.; and contains a noble hall and many valuable pictures. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £240. Patron, J. W. Buller, Esq. The church contains the monuments, effigies, and armour of the Achyms, the Bullers, and the Trelawneys. A chapel is at Trelawney House; and a small convent, with a chapel, is about a mile from it. Charities, £6.





Sue Dent

672


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

2006

Active

Click here to contact study owner

9 Mar 2014

Loading...

Pelynt One-Place Study