© Register of One-
Study started circa
Old photos of buildings/places
Old postcard views
Overview of Study
Old photos of past residents
Electoral rolls/poll books
Facebook page or group
Additional source material to hand
Population in 1881
Probate office summaries
Contact name (if different)
Baptism registers date from
Burial registers date from
Marriages registers date from
Online / social media presence
Additional comments from study owner/contact
The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-
Online Parish Clerk scheme
Grampound Road (part), Tresillian (part)
The parish of Probus, extending to just over 8,000 acres, is approximately 4 miles north east of the City of Truro. It is bounded on the north by the parishes of Ladock and St Stephen in Brannel, on the east by Grampound, Creed, and Cuby, on the south by Cornelly, Lamorran, and Merther, and on the west by St Clement's and St Erme.
The parish, and village, are named after St Probus, to whom the church is dedicated.
He appears to have been a British Christian, who is believed to have lived at some
time in the late 5th century, but little more is known. King Athelstan founded a
monastic centre in Probus in 930 A.D., as part of his programme of converting the
Celts to a Saxon way of life.
Apprenticeship indentures, settlement papers, bastardy documents, manorial documents
7 December 2013
After the Norman conquest, the church was given to Exeter Cathedral, and although the monastery survived with a Dean and Canons, in 1268 the deanery was surrendered to the Bishop of Exeter and ceased to exist.
The present church, built of Cornish granite in the Perpendicular Gothic style, dates in the main from about 1450. The tower at 125’ 10”, rightly famous as being the tallest in Cornwall, was started in about 1523 and finished in Elizabeth I’s reign. There was a chapel in the village, alas no longer open for worship, and also a private school which drew pupils from different parts of the county.