County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

St. Agnes Churchtown, Mithian, Trevaunance Cove, Mingoose, Towan Cross, Perranporth

Click here to visit website


St. Agnes

St. Agnes is in the Hundred and deanery of Pydar, just inland from the North coast and the Bristol Channel, and lies to the North of Redruth. (see map reference below). It is not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, as it was considered part of Perranzabuloe until 1846. It was in the Carrick district until Cornwall became a unitary authority in 2009, with civil registration for the parish being in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837.

Villages in the parish include the Churchtown, Trevaunance Cove, Towan Cross, Mithian and Mingoose. The town of Perranporth is to the North East of the parish. Currently the area is mainly farmland, but St Agnes Parish was one of the great mining districts in Cornwall, abounding in tin and copper. As a result, the parish is scant of trees. The Earl of Cornwall once had a manor at Tywarnhayle. The northern boundary of the parish is the rugged Northern coastline of Cornwall. St Agnes Beacon is a raised area of land which was chosen as one of the principal western stations of the Ordnance Survey.






Stephen Hawke

4,630


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

2008

Active

Click here to contact study owner

03 Mar 2014

Loading...

St. Agnes One-Place Study