St. Breward lies on the northern edge of Bodmin Moor, north of the A30 and east of
St. Tudy and the Atlantic Highway.
There are several versions of how St. Breward got its name - a not uncommon situation
in Cornwall. It was not listed in the Domesday Book, at which time it was probably
part of St. Tudy. It was also called Simonward. The name Breward may also come from
the French for heath, bruyere.
However, there was also a Celtic saint called Branwalder or Broladre in Brittany
and Jersey. The church was dedicated to St Brueredus in 1278 and is the highest church