County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

-

Click here to visit website


St. Columb Minor

Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):

COLUMB-MINOR (St.), a parish in St. Columb district, Cornwall; on the coast, 5 miles W by S of St. Columb-Major, and 11 NNW of Grampound Road r. station. It has a fair on 9 June; and its post town is Newquay, under St. Columb, Cornwall. Acres, 5, 897; of which 335 are water. Real property, £6,796. Pop., 2,067. Houses, 446. The property is much subdivided. The rocks include good shelly sandstone. A blow-hole, with a high jet of water, in certain states of the tide, is at the small harbour of Lower-St. Columb-Porth. A priory was founded at Rialton, near the church, about the end of the 15th century, by Thomas Vyvyan; and some interesting remains of it were lately extant, but are now much mutilated. Rialton gave title to the statesman, Sidney Godolphin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £117.* Patron, Lord Churston. The church is large and good; and has an old rood-loft.






Pauline Pickup

c. 2,100


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

2014

Active

Click here to contact

18 Jun 2014

Loading...

St. Columb Minor One-Place Study