County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

-

Click here to visit website


St. John

Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):

JOHN (ST.), a village and a parish in St. Germans district, Cornwall. The village stands at the head of a branch of the Hamoaze, called St. John's lake, opposite Devonport town and r. station, and 5½ miles SE by E of St. Germans. The parish extends to the English Channel; and comprises 698 acres of land, and 125 of water. Post town, Devonport. Real property, £1, 094. Pop. in 1851, 155; in 1861, 213. Houses, 38. The increase of pop. arose from the temporary presence of labourers at the erection of forts.

The manor formerly belonged to the Champernowns, and belongs now to Deeble Boger, Esq. Tregenhawke belonged to the Trevilles, and others; and passed to Lord Graves. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £179. Patron, W. H. Pole Carew, Esq. The church measures 56 feet by 18: and was restored in 1866.

Gillian Kempster

189


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

2000

Active

Click here to contact

4 Mar 2014

Loading...

© Tony Atkin

and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence

St. John One-Place Study