County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

-

Click here to visit website


St. Kew

Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):

KEW (ST.), a village and a parish in Bodmin district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Amble, 4½ miles NNE of Wadebridge, and 11 NW by N of Bodmin Road r. station; bears the name of St. Kew Churchtown; and has a fair on 3 April. The parish comprises 7,514 acres. Post town, Wadebridge, Cornwall. Real property, £8, 192. Pop. in 1851, 1,337; in 1861, 1,182. Houses, 255. The decrease of pop. arose from discontinuance of mining operations, and from emigration.

The property is subdivided. The manor was known at Domesday as Languit. Trewane was the seat of the Nichollses, and is now a farm house. There are several barrows and beacons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £520. Patron, Mrs. Every. The church is ancient, in fair condition; has old painted glass, illustrative of the lives of Christ and Jesse; and contains monuments of the Webbers. There are Methodist chapels, and charities £26.



Pat Balmer

1,102


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

2013

Active

Click here to contact

4 Mar 2014

Loading...

St. Kew One-Place Study