County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

-

Click here to visit website


St. Martin by Looe

Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1877):

MARTIN (ST.), a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall; on Looe bay and the river Looe, 4½ miles SSW of Menheniot r. station, and 6½ S by E of Liskeard. It contains the town of East Looe; and its Post town is Looe, under Liskeard. Acres, 3,199; of which 130 are water. Real property, exclnsive of East Looe, £2,802; inc. of East Looe, £4,622. Pop., exc. of East Looe, 343. H ouses, 71. Pop., inc. of East Looe, 1,497. Houses, 276. The manor was known, at Domesday, as Lant Martin; and it took its name from St. Martin du Tours. A bout 250 acres are under wood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £481. Patron, alternately the Dowagcr Countess of Sandwich and the Duke of Cleveland. The church stands on high ground above East Looe, and is ancient but good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £4.




Sue Dent

355


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

2006

Active

Click here to contact study owner

9 Mar 2014

Loading...

St. Martin by Looe One-Place Study