Study started circa
Overview of Study
Facebook page or group
Population in 1881
Contact name (if different)
Online / social media presence
© oneplacestudy.org 2013-
The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-
Online Parish Clerk scheme
Shop, Harlyn, Trevear
The parish of St. Merryn is located on the North coast of Cornwall, near Padstow. Originally part of the St. Columb Registration District, it is now in the Bodmin District. Principal places of residence are St. Merryn, Shop, Constantine, Treyarnon, Porthcothan and Harlyn. There are several hamlets, namely Trevear, Trevorrick, Towan, Porthcothan Mill, Trethias and Carnevas.
The Church has been rebuilt and restored throughout the centuries, but traces of the older churches remain. The earliest recorded Vicar was in 1259. The entrance today is through the North Porch, and the Church is well cared for, as is the attached burial ground. Across the road is "The Cornish Arms", which was the Old Vicarage, and a few cottages in Churchtown.
About one mile to the southwest of St Merryn village are the ruins of St Constantine church. They consist of a portion of the tower, with its doorway, and other fragments; no gravestones or other monuments exist. There was also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at The Cottages and a Bible Christian chapel at Trehemborne.
This is mainly a farming parish and there are some 17 farms, many of which have been farmed by the same families for generations. These days there is diversification into bed & breakfast, caravan sites and other tourist attractions on many of them. There is also a maritime association in the parish, as it contains Trevose Lighthouse, built in 1847. The lighthouse men were to be found in the censuses in 1851, 61, 71 and 81. There are also World War II military graves in the Church Cemetery.
04 Mar 2014
St. Merryn One-
Registered with the Register of One-