County (historic)

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Overview of Study

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Study owner

Population in 1881

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Online / social media presence

Current status

© oneplacestudy.org 2013-2016

Study registered

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Cornwall

Home / Counties List

Alpha Index

Add Your Study

Other Countries


The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-Place Study Register:


Online Parish Clerk scheme

Cornwall OPC

Cornwall

Tregothnan

Click here to visit website


St. Michael Penkevil

Extracts from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):

MICHAEL-PENKEVIL (ST.), a village and a parish in Truro district, Cornwall. The village stands 1½ mile from Mopas ferry on St. Clement's creek, and 4 SE of Truro r. station; and has a post office, under Probus, Cornwall. The parish comprises 1,189 acres. Real property, £984. Pop., 194. Houses, 35. The manor belonged to the Penkevils; passed to the Courtenays, the Carminows, and the Boscawens; and belongs now to Viscount Falmouth. Tregonian and Nancarrow are old seats. The rocks are slaty, and have traces of copper. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £156. Patron, Viscount Falmouth. The church was originally a fine structure of the 13th and the 14th centuries; was partly restored, partly rebuilt, subsequent to 1859; a buttressed tower, including a curious oratory with a stone altar; and contains a metal tablet of 1515 to the Rev. John Trembrass, and a monument by Rysbrach to Admiral Boscawen.





Julia Mitchell

153


-


CornwallOPCs


@CornwallOPCs


-

2007

5

Active

Click here to contact study owner

04 Mar 2014

Loading...

©  Fred James and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence

St. Michael Penkevil One-Place Study