Study started circa
Overview of Study
Facebook page or group
Population in 1881
Contact name (if different)
Online / social media presence
© oneplacestudy.org 2013-
The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-
Online Parish Clerk scheme
Churchtown, Coombe, Foxhole, High Street, Lanjeth, Nanpean, Treviscoe, Whitemoor
St Stephen in Brannel is located near St. Austell, St. Mewan, and Luxulyan. Once a centre of mining, it is now mainly agricultural.
Collection of transcribed baptism, marriage and burial records (BMD) covering various years. Various pictures of places within the parish including some added information can be found here.
The main collection of BMD are located on the Cornwall OPC (genealogy) website database.
Rita Bone Kopp
17 Nov 2013
Extract from Parish Plan 2011:
The expansion of the clay industry meant the face of the landscape has changed over time. The village of Hornick now lies under Blackpool Tip; Halviggan, a village of some 57 houses, now lies in Great Halviggan Pit, part of the modern Blackpool Pit complex; Meledor was lost to china clay development at Melbur; and Old Pound, once a busy village with carnivals, horse shows, and wrestling tournaments, is now a skeleton of the original village settlement. The Parish today is composed of seven villages: Coombe, Foxhole, Lanjeth and High Street, Nanpean, St Stephen, Treviscoe and Whitemoor. The story of china clay in this area is also in many ways the story of all the villages in the Parish.