Study started circa
Overview of Study
Facebook page or group
Population in 1881
Contact name (if different)
Online / social media presence
© oneplacestudy.org 2013-
The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-
Online Parish Clerk scheme
The parish of St Winnow dates back at least 1000 years and is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. The area is just over 5000 acres. There are two churches, and the St Winnow Parish Church is in the extreme south of the parish at approximate grid reference 115570. More centrally located is the Church or Chapel of St Nectan (also called St Nighton's) at approximate grid reference 128600. This latter is part of the St Winnow Parish and is known as a "chapel of ease" (or "chapel of convenience"). Portions of the St Winnow Church date from Norman times and both churches are largely from the 15th century. St Nectan's Church was significantly damaged during the civil war in 1644 and alterations have been made. There was also a restoration at St Winnow's Church during the 19th century, but the essential character of the building was not significantly changed. Glass windows honouring both saints are found in the parish church of St Winnow.
02 May 2014
The parish is rather sparsely populated (fewer than 1000 inhabitants), with the largest centre of population at Bridgend, which, although part of St Winnow parish, is now usually considered to be a part of the town of Lostwithiel, which is across the Fowey River bridge. Until recently, the parish was in the Bodmin Civil Registration District, but is now in the Liskeard Civil Registration District. Other than Bridgend, the parish is mostly agricultural with little industry or commerce. Adjacent parishes beginning on the north going clockwise are Cardinham, Broadoak (Braddoc), Boconnoc, St Veep, St Sampson (Golant), Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, and Lanhydrock. The hamlet of Lerryn straddles the River Lerryn with part of the homes in St Winnow parish and the other part in St Veep parish.
There are cemeteries at both the St Winnow and the St Nectan's Churches. Both are still in use and maintained to a modest degree.
St. Nectan’s Church © David Coppin
St. Winnow One-