Whitsome & Hilton is a typical Borders parish with a village surrounded by farms.
In June 1735, the parishes of Whitsome and Hilton were combined after the movement
of the Minister of Hilton, George Home, to Whittinghame in East Lothian. The church
of Hilton was allowed to decay, and is now a ruin. All that can be seen is the outline
of the walls, and the east gable, surrounded by the old Kirkyard.
The population of Whitsome fell from 664 in 1831 to 636 in 1833 because of emigration
to Canada. By 1861, it was still only 640, and thereafter the fall continued - 608
in 1871, 560 in 1881 and 573 in 1891.