Extract from Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):
WYLYE, or Wiley, a parish, with W. village and Deptford tything, in Wilton district,
Wilts; on the river Wiley at Wiley r. station, 7¼ miles NW by W of Wilton. Post town,
Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 2,279. Rated property, £3,203. Pop., 489. Houses,
118. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. An inn is at Deptford; and there
are extensive ancient entrenchments, called Badbury Ring and Yarnbury. The. living
is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £492.* Patron, the Earl of Pembroke.
The church was rebuilt in 1844. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school,
and charities £10.